Work Accident is an unexpected accident causing losses of properties, body injuries, disabilities and even death. Work Accident is accidents occurred due to the employment relationship, (happen for a job or perform a job).
The conception of work accident causes
– Before the Industrial Revolution:
Work accident happened because of fate solely, so at that time there was no rational attempt aimed to prevent accidents.
– At Industrial Revolution era in 1931:
Herbert W. Heinrich with his theory (Domino Accidents), He said that the most accidents (- 80%) were caused by human factors or in other words human actions that are not safe.
The causes of accidents
Based on the conception mentioned above, the causes of accidents consists of
E. Field (workplace / work environment)
All these elements are interconnected and forming a system. The imbalance in one or more element will cause accidents or losses.
A. Human elements
– There is no harmony between labour and the leader of a company. For example, there is an indifference of the corporate leaders in providing safety supplies to protect workers from various accidents that may occur.
– Lack of knowledge / skills
– Physical / mental disability
– Lack of motivation
B. Management Elements
– Lack of supervision
– The organizational structure is unclear and less precise
– Error operating procedures
C. Materials Elements
– The presence of toxic and flammable materials
– The existence of materials that contain corrosive
D. Machine Elements
– Disabilities when the manufacturing process
– Damage due to processing
– Error planning
E. Field Elements
– Bad Lighting (glare or dark)
– Bad ventilation and bad housekeeping
Based on the description above, then can be concluded that work accidents can be prevented by the following steps:
1. The corporate leaders must consider the safety of workers by providing security equipments in working such as: safety glasses, helmets, safety vests, and so forth. These security tools should be provided by the company to maintain the safety of workers.
2. The selection / placement of staff should be appropriate in order to obtain a harmony between talent and physical abilities of workers with their jobs.
3. Good maintenance of workplace so be clean and safe for workers.
4. Planning of job placement is according to the human capabilities.
5. Making hazard control system.
6. Implementation and monitoring of the safety policy. Companies should provide the proper and complete safety supply to ensure the workers safety.
7. Making monitoring system to determine the existing of imbalance.
Finally it can be concluded that in preventing workplace accidents must be done by all parties, such as business owners, corporate managers, machine operator, and also the workers themselves, in other words “THE PREVENTION OF WORK ACCIDENT BECOME OUR COLLECTIVE RESPONSIBILITY”.