Lawyer, Personal Injury, Immigration Law and Legal Advice

Applying For a Return Visa

If you are a US Legal permanent resident or a Conditional resident, you are allowed to travel abroad and stay there for a short period of time. However, if you were absent from the US for more than a year, or stayed more than the time allowed on your Re-entry Permit, you have to get a new immigrant visa to enter the US to continue your permanent residence status. If you are carrying a green card and had to stay abroad because of compelling and unavoidable circumstances beyond your control, you can get a Returning resident special immigrant visa that will allow you to get back to the US. If you cannot return to the US within the two-year validity of a Re-entry Permit, you can still get a return visa. Applications for a returning resident (SB-1) visa has to be filed with the nearest US Embassy or Consulate.

Once your return visa application is approved, it is not necessary for an immigrant visa petition to be filed for you. You have to attend interviews and should be able to establish eligibility for an immigrant visa. Not to forget having a medical examination. There is a fee for both visa processing and for medical test. If you are serving the US Armed Forces or a civilian employee of the US Government staying overseas on official purposes, your spouse and child/ren can use their green card to enter the US even if it has expired. It is not necessary for them to apply for a return visa (SB-1) as long as they have not abandoned their permanent resident status.

You should prove that you were in lawful permanent resident status when you left the US and came out with the intention of returning and have no intention of abandoning your status. You should also have strong evidence that your visit was a temporary one and if the stay abroad was extended, it was only because of inevitable situations not under your control for which you were not responsible.

File a completed Form DS-117 (Application to establish Returning Resident Status) at the US Embassy or Consulate. You will be required to submit your Permanent Resident Card and Re-entry Permit (if available) and other supporting documents. After reviewing your application and supporting documents, the Consular Officer will verify if you meet the criteria reserved for SB-1 status and if he approves, you must qualify for an immigrant visa in all other aspects to get a SB-1 visa.

The US Consulate will give you all details regarding further processing of your SB-1 visa and processing differs from each Embassy or Consulate. If the consular officer finds you have abandoned your residence in the US, it may or may not be possible for you to get a non immigrant visa depending on whether you have established a residence in a foreign country.

Qualifying for a return visa is a bit complicated. If you cannot show convincing evidence of compelling ties abroad, you will be left with the only option of applying for an immigrant visa on the same basis and under the same category through which you entered the US earlier.

How to Find a Good Criminal Law Solicitor

Considering that there is no single, comprehensive list that efficiently rates all lawyers without any bias, you will have to do quite some research before you can finally settle for a lawyer who will be the best for your case.

To start with, do not limit your search to solicitors who specialize in a particular crime. While a specialized solicitor who is a Law Society certified specialist would be a great choice, lawyers who claim to be specialists in a particular case, often call for suspicion. Your biggest consideration at this time should be what the track record of the lawyer is, and whether he seems willing to put enough time into your case. A good way to find the best criminal solicitors in your region is to search for them on the web. For instance, if you are looking for a solicitor in Surrey, you could type ‘solicitors in Surrey’, or any similar search terms on the search bar depending on your location preference, and carry on from the results you get.

Once you have singled down on a number of lawyers who meet your requirements, the trickiest part is to decide which of them to choose. At this point, you need to consider a detailed background check on each of the prospective criminal solicitors. You can start by asking friends and acquaintances if they have had any previous experience with the lawyer you are considering. Then check whether he belongs to a law society’s Lexcel accredited organization. Lawyers who are regulated by the General Council of the Bar are usually the reliable ones.

Other preferable credentials are a previous office with a legal organization of which he is a member, teaching experience at a law school, a published legal article, etc. All these are useful indications of the lawyer’s standing and reputation in the legal community. Once you have settled on a criminal law solicitor, it is time for you to visit him and discuss various important considerations. Ask him about the exact amount that he will charge for handling the case, and any ancillary services that he thinks you might need. You also need to discuss what will happen in case he becomes unavailable due to any reason, and who will handle your case in such an event. Some lawyers charge a contingent fee, which includes a success fee if the case is won. Make sure that you have all the terms and conditions clear from the start.

Partnership Dispute Resolution Options

If you are engaged in a partnership dispute which is damaging your business you have traditional and alternative dispute resolution techniques available to you. If you cannot solve the matter between yourselves in the boardroom you are going to have to get a third party in to help you out.

Alternative Dispute Resolution

Alternative Dispute Resolution techniques are now commonly used by businesses to prevent the matter entering in to the public eye. If you choose an alternative resolution technique you will be able to keep the matter entirely confidential, hence it being the most popular option in the modern business world. When you business relies heavily on the media for advertising and marketing purposes, you do not wish to taint you reputation with bad press. Bad press never goes away and unfortunately one derogatory article can be worth a thousand good articles in the eyes of a potential client. The alternative dispute resolution options you have are:

Mediation is the least invasive of all the techniques on the market it simply requires you to discuss the matter at hand with a mediator present. The mediator will be a non-biased third party. They are not present to offer their opinion on the matter, merely to control the discussion. They will ensure the discussion does not become heated and that each party has an equal amount of time to speak and to get their point of view across in a calm environment. Hopefully this will lead to a mutually accepted conclusion to the matter being reached.

Arbitration is slightly more invasive as it puts the matter in to the hands of a chartered arbitrator. The arbitrator will assess all the evidence pertaining to the issue and will then proceed to offer a legally binding decision on the matter. Both parties must agree to arbitration before it can proceed. This will either be an explicit agreement at the time of the dispute or an implicit agreement made in a voluntary partnership agreement before the dispute.

Traditional Dispute Resolution

This is simply taking the matter to the courts. Traditional litigation is generally accepted to be the last port of call as it has a tendency to be the most time consuming – and therefore most expensive- option available to you. You will also be unable to keep the matter private; it will be very much exposed to the public eye. If you are in the throes of a serious dispute though, potentially involving serious allegations such as fraud, litigation will be your only option.