A foreign national or citizen is granted the US citizenship by the naturalization process once they file the Form N-400 and fulfill the requirements. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services is the agency in charge and they process the application in order of its receipt.
Why to apply for US citizenship?
Duties as a US citizen includes:
Rights as a US citizen are listed below:
1) Consular benefits: During travel abroad the US citizen who is detained or arrested for any reason can take help from the US embassy or consulate.
2) Social service access: The option of social security and Medicare can be availed only by the US citizens.
3) Sponsor relatives abroad: Many visa requisitions require the applicants to be close relatives of US citizens, visas such as IR and F for family members.
4) Deportation protection: Deportation proceedings are not possible against naturalized US citizens since they are not considered aliens anymore.
5) Honors Eligibility: The USCIS created the Outstanding American by Choice Award to honor only the naturalized US citizens.
6) In the United States civic participation is not required. It is considered that the very indifference of most people does not allow for a quiet and strong political climate.
7) Dual Citizenship: US Citizens can be citizens of more than one nation. They do not lose their citizenship if they vote in an election in a foreign country or by becoming a citizen of a foreign country.
US campaign to promote citizenship
In its effort to encouraging eligible lawful permanent citizens to apply for US citizenship, the US government had launched a $3.5 million multilingual advertising campaign. It’s part of the $11 million for superior immigration integration allotted by the Congress. It was launched on May 30 and run through Labor Day. The immigrants of California, New York and Texas will be focused upon and the campaign will primarily run in these states. The print, radio and digital media will be used in this campaign in different languages such as Chinese, English, Vietnamese and Spanish. The 7.9 million immigrants eligible for applying for US citizenship will be targeted.
This campaign is first of its kind to be sponsored by the government to encourage people to apply for US citizenship and also stress the point that lack of English language knowledge is not an issue and also that they still have options to learn it. Another reason for the immigrants not to opt for applying for US citizenship is that they cannot afford the $680 application related fees.
Through the campaign they aim to explain the naturalization process in the other native languages also and also to explain that they have the option to download material online in their native languages in order to get them ready for the US citizenship test.
To apply for US citizenship the immigrants should be green card holders for at least five years, with good moral character and pass in both the civics and English tests. If they are married to US citizens they can apply quicker, after their third anniversary of wedded life. The citizenship gives them the right to vote, travel with American passport, serve on a jury and also petition for other family members to join them in US.